Viparita Shalabhasana is one of the most important and advance asana in yoga with lots of health benefits. It is also known as The Reversed Locust Pose. The name Viparita Shalabhasana actually comes from Sanskrit words, it is a combination of three words, where Viparita means turning around, reversed, Shalabha means Locust and Asana means Pose, so the combination of all the words, its pronounced as a The Reversed Locust Pose. This asana is the advance variation of The Locust Pose and it is also known as Superman Pose.
Viparita Shalabhasana has lots of health benefits; among that some of the health benefits of Viparita Shalabhasana include strengthening Shoulder, Abdomen, and Spine, Improves Digestive Health, Helps to Prevent Diabetes, Improves Cardiovascular Health, Prevents Menstrual Irregularities, Increases Focus, Improves Blood Circulation and Helps to reduce Belly Fat.
Before we go to do this asana, we should know for whom this Viparita Shalabhasana is not recommended. Those who are suffering from severe back injury, hip injury, ankle injury and knee injury, recently any surgery on your back or waist, spinal column ailments on the lower vertebrae they should not do this asana. Those who are suffering from high or low blood pressure, they should not do this asana without any supervision. Those who are suffering from severe headache they should avoid this asana. Those suffering from any form of hernia should avoid this practice.
How to do Viparita Shalabhasana (The Reversed Locust Pose):
- To start this asana get onto the yoga mat and lie down on your stomach on the yoga mat.
- Keep in mind that, your arms should be placed under your torso and bring your chin on the floor.
- Your toes should point out and press the top of your feet delicately onto the floor.
- While you are lifting your knees from the floor, exchange your body weight onto the fours.
- Fix your glutes and your lower stomach. At that point, extend your lower back such that the muscles in your backside fit towards your foot sole areas.
- Now, try to bring your hands down as you raise your elbows up towards your stomach.
- Try to make solid grips on your arms toward your leg, to incorporate your upper arms and the trunk muscles enthusiastically.
- As you breathe in, raise your legs from the floor around then don't twist your knees.
- Raise your legs from your thighs and your spine in the state of a curve, shaping the letter "C". Presently you will see your toes before you.
- Try to remain in this position as long as you can.
- For beginners, try to be in this position for 1 to 2 minutes.
- To release from this position, slowly get back to the starting position, keep your leg straight and take a deep breath and relax. Keep both the hands alongside your body.
- Now you can again do this asana. You should do minimum 10 repetitions of this asana for better result.
- Initially, when you start this yoga asana, you feel some pain in your legs, shoulders, abdominal, spine, thigh, and arms, but as you practice more you can do this asana more easily.
Health Benefits of Viparita Shalabhasana (The Reversed Locust Pose):
Viparita Shalabhasana Strengthens Shoulder, Abdomen, and Spine:
While practicing Viparita Shalabhasana, it stretches our shoulder, abdomen and spine muscles that help to improve the blood flow in this area and keep our muscle tone and strengthen. Different studies have been proven that regular practice of this Viparita Shalabhasana will helps to reduce the back pain and prevent the risk of injury in the shoulder, abdomen and spine region.
Viparita Shalabhasana Improves Digestive Health:
Regular practice of Viparita Shalabhasana can improve our digestive health and it also helps to prevent various types of digestion related issues, such as constipation because while doing Viparita Shalabhasana, it's create lot of pressure on stomach and inner intestine, due to this our body create stress hormone, which helps to promote the function of the digestive system that improve the proper bowel movement and it also promote the production of digestive juice and enzyme that helps in digesting of complex protein and carbohydrate.
Viparita Shalabhasana Helps to Prevent Diabetes:
Different Studies have been proven that regular practice of Viparita Shalabhasana helps to improve the production of insulin in our body, which helps to slow down the absorption of sugar in our blood, which is the main cause of diabetes. Researchers have suggested this asana for those who are already suffering from diabetes.
Viparita Shalabhasana Increases Focus:
Different studies have been proven that, regular practice of Viparita Shalabhasana helps to improve the blood circulation to the brain because your head position is going against the gravity, so it will help to promote the blood flow to the brain and volumes is more. Due to increase in blood flow to the brain, it gets more oxygen and vital nutrients, thus your brain gets more focused and function properly.
Viparita Shalabhasana Improves Blood Circulation:
When we are doing Viparita Shalabhasana it helps to open the chest muscles that helps improve the blood circulation, thus reduce the strain from the blood vessels and also prevent the formation of fat and cholesterol in our body.
Viparita Shalabhasana Helps to Reduce Belly Fat:
Different studies have been proven that regular practice of Viparita Shalabhasana is very helpful for our abdominal muscles and it also helps to reduce the fat from the belly region because while doing this asana it create lot of pressure on our abdominal muscles that helps to reduce the extra fat from the belly.
Viparita Shalabhasana Helps to Stimulate the Reproductive Organs:
Practicing of Viparita Shalabhasana on a regular basis can enhance sexual performance because while doing Viparita Shalabhasana, it squeezes the sexual organ, which helps in the production of stress hormones in that area that helps to stimulate our sexual organ and it also improve the blood flow to the sexual organ will help to increase the function of sexual performance.
Viparita Shalabhasana Improves Kidneys and Liver Function:
Regular practice of Viparita Shalabhasana is very beneficial for in improving the function of livers and kidney, because while doing this asana, it creates lots of pressure in the kidneys and livers that help to produce of stress hormones, which stimulate our kidneys and liver for better functioning.