Uttana Shishosana is one of the most important asana in yoga with lots of health benefits. It is also known as The Extended Puppy Pose. The name Uttana Shishosana actually comes from Sanskrit words, it is a combination of three words, where Uttanna means Intense or Extended, Shisho means Puppy and Asana mean Pose. So combine all the words, it's pronounced as The Extended Puppy Pose.
Uttana Shishosana has lots of health benefits; among that some of the health benefits of Uttana Shishosana include Increasing Focus, Improves Blood Circulation, Strengthen The Back and Abdominal Muscles, Improves Kidneys and Liver Function, Strengthen Ankles, Legs, Feet and Calves, Improves Body Balance, Improves Digestive Health and Helps to Improves Sexual Health.
Before we go to do this asana, we should know for whom this Uttana Shishosana is not recommended. Those who are suffering from severe back injury, hip injury, ankle injury and knee injury, recently any surgery on your back or waist, spinal column ailments on the lower vertebrae they should not do this asana. Those who are suffering from high or low blood pressure, they should not do this asana without any supervision. Those who are suffering from severe headache they should avoid this asana. Those suffering from any form of hernia should avoid this practice.
How to do Uttana Shishosana (The Extended Puppy Pose):
- To start this asana get onto the yoga mat and come into the Tabletop Position, your shoulders should stack over wrists.
- Your hips should stack over to your knees, and keep your feet beat on the tangle.
- Now gradually keep your hands before you, let down your chest towards the floor or ground.
- You need to bring your hips over your knees and keep some separation between your arms shoulder distance.
- After that, gradually down your temple to the floor.
- Presently actuate your arms by crushing (squeezing) into the palms of your hands.
- Raise your elbows and lower arms far away from the ground.
- After that, draw your shoulder bones onto your back and keep your hips up high toward the rooftop or roof.
- Normally breathe in and breathe out in this position.
- Keep in this position and gently breathe in and breathe out.
- For beginners, try to be in this position for 5 to 6 breathe.
- To release from this position, slowly come to the starting position and then keep your leg straight and take a deep breath and relax.
- Now you can again do this asana. You should do minimum 10 repetitions of this asana for better result.
- Initially, when you start this yoga asana, you feel some pain in your legs, hip, thigh, shoulder, abdomen and knee, but as you practice more you can do this asana more easily.
Health Benefits of Uttana Shishosana (The Extended Puppy Pose)
Uttana Shishosana Helps to Remove Stress:
Studies have been proven that practicing of Uttana Shishosana on a regular basis is not only good for our stomach, but also it helps to calm the mind and release the stress. Sitting in this posture can put stress on leg muscles and improve the flexibility and keep our leg muscles relaxed. Practicing this asana with slow breathing can reduce the stress and increase the blood flow to the whole body, so it is highly recommended to who is suffering from stress; they should practice this yoga on a regular basis.
Uttana Shishosana Strengthen Hip, Knee and Thigh Muscles:
Different studies have been proven that regular practice of Uttana Shishosana, can stretch your Hip, Knee and Thigh Muscles, that put extra pressure on this muscle, so that blood flow will increase in this area and muscles will get more amount of oxygen and nutrition, which helps them to strengthen and regular practice of this asana also can help to prevent injury in Hip, Knee and Thigh Muscles during exercise and other works.
Uttana Shishosana Increases the Focus of Mind and Concentration:
Regular practice of Uttana Shishosana helps to improve the focus of mind and concentration because while doing Uttana Shishosana, it will help to promote the blood flow to the brain and volumes is more. Due to increase in blood flow to the brain, it gets more oxygen and vital nutrients, thus your brain gets more focused and function properly. So this asana is highly recommended to the student, if they practice Uttana Shishosana on a regular basis, it can improve their concentration towards studies and they will focus more towards their carrier.
Uttana Shishosana Helps to Reduce Back Pain:
Different studies have been proven that, regular practice of Uttana Shishosana can very helpful for those who are suffering from any perennial back pain, because while practicing this asana it create lots of pressure on the spine and its also stretch the spine, that helps to improve the flexibility of our spine that helps to prevent back pain.
Uttana Shishosana Strengthens Shoulder, Abdomen, and Spine:
While practicing Uttana Shishosana, it stretches our shoulder, abdomen and spine muscles that help to improve the blood flow in this area and keep our muscle tone and strengthen. Different studies have been proven that regular practice of this Uttana Shishosana will helps to reduce the back pain and prevent the risk of injury in the shoulder, abdomen and spine region.
Uttana Shishosana Improves Digestive Health:
Regular practice of Uttana Shishosana can improve our digestive health and it also helps to prevent various types of digestion related issues, such as constipation because while doing Uttana Shishosana, it's create lot of pressure on stomach and inner intestine, due to this our body create stress hormone, which helps to promote the function of the digestive system that improve the proper bowel movement and it also promote the production of digestive juice and enzyme that helps in digesting of complex protein and carbohydrate.
Uttana Shishosana Improves Blood Circulation:
When we are doing Uttana Shishosana it helps to open the chest muscles that helps improve the blood circulation, thus reduce the strain from the blood vessels and also prevent the formation of fat and cholesterol in our body.
Uttana Shishosana Enhance Sexual Health:
Practicing of Uttana Shishosana on a regular basis can enhance sexual performance because while doing this yoga asana, it stretches our sexual organ, which helps in the production of stress hormones in that area that helps to stimulate our sexual organ and it also improve the blood flow to the sexual organ will help to increase the function of sexual performance.