Urdhva Mukha Svanasana is one of the most important asana in yoga with lots of health benefits. It is also known as The Upward-Facing Dog Pose. The name Urdhva Mukha Svanasana actually comes from Sanskrit words, it is a combination of three words, where Urdhva means Upward, Mukha means Face, Savana means Dog and Asana mean Pose. So combine all the words, it's pronounced as The Upward-Facing Dog Pose.
Urdhva Mukha Svanasana has lots of health benefits; among that some of the health benefits of Urdhva Mukha Svanasana include strengthening The Back, Abdomen, Legs and Hips, Helps to Reduce Back Pain, Improves Digestive Health, Improves the Function of Liver and Kidneys, Improves Cardiovascular Health, Relieves Stress and Anxiety and Enhance Sexual Health.
Before we go to do this asana, we should know for whom this Urdhva Mukha Svanasana is not recommended. Those who are suffering from severe back injury, hip injury, ankle injury and knee injury, recently any surgery on your back or waist, spinal column ailments on the lower vertebrae they should not do this asana. Those who are suffering from high or low blood pressure, they should not do this asana without any supervision. Those who are suffering from severe headache they should avoid this asana. Those suffering from any form of hernia should avoid this practice.
How to do Urdhva Mukha Svanasana (The Upward Facing Dog Pose):
- To start this asana get onto the yoga mat and lie down on your stomach. Keep your legs straight and completely reached out towards back.
- Keep your feet best on the floor in resting position. Place your lower arms opposite to the floor and bend your elbows, keeping your palms right other than your abdomen.
- Take a deep breath and push from your hands, try to lift your upper body from the floor. Your hand should be straight.
- Breathe out.
- Now you are in cobra pose and your upper body weight in one your both hands.
- As you breathe in, lift your thigh from the floor and your whole body balance is on the hands and on the tips of toes.
- Lift your pubis upward way, pushing it towards your navel and thin your hips focuses. Nevertheless, don't strain your butts.
- Attempt to keep your shoulder bones firm and allow the weight to be engaged around your sternum.
- Now lean your head in reverse position.
- Try to remain in this position as much time as you can.
- For beginners, try to be in this position for 3 to 4 breaths.
- To release from this position, breathe in and slowly get on to the starting position. Now keep your both the hands alongside your body, keep your leg straight and take a deep breath and relax.
- Now you can again do this asana. You should do minimum 10 repetitions of this asana for better result.
- Initially, when you start this yoga asana, you feel some pain in your legs, hip, thigh, and arms but as you practice more you can do this asana more easily.
Health Benefits of Urdhva Mukha Svanasana (The Upward Facing Dog Pose):
Urdhva Mukha Svanasana Strengthen The Back, Abdomen, Legs and Hips:
Different studies have been proven that regular practice of Urdhva Mukha Svanasana, can stretch your Back, Abdomen, Legs and Hips Muscles, that put extra pressure on this muscle, so that blood flow will increase in this area and muscles will get more amount of oxygen and nutrition, which helps them to strengthen and regular practice of this asana also can help to prevent injury in Back, Abdomen, Legs and Hips Muscles during exercise and other works.
Urdhva Mukha Svanasana Helps to Reduce Back Pain:
Different studies have been proven that, regular practice of Urdhva Mukha Svanasana can very helpful for those who are suffering from any perennial back pain, because while practicing this asana it create lots of pressure on the spine and its also stretch the spine, that helps to improve the flexibility of our spine that helps to prevent back pain.
Urdhva Mukha Svanasana Improves Digestive Health:
Different studies have been proven that regular practice of Urdhva Mukha Svanasana can improve our digestive health and it also helps to prevent various types of digestion related issues, such as constipation because regular practice of Urdhva Mukha Svanasana put some extra pressure on stomach and inner intestine organ, due to this our body create stress hormone, which helps to promote the function of the digestive system that improve the proper bowel movement and also helps to promote the production of digestive juice and enzyme that helps in digesting of food and helps to prevent the waste from our body.
Urdhva Mukha Svanasana Improves the Function of Liver and Kidneys:
Regular practice of Urdhva Mukha Svanasana is very beneficial for in improving the function of livers and kidney, because while doing this asana, it creates lots of pressure in the kidneys and livers that help to produce of stress hormones, which stimulate our kidneys and liver for better functioning.
Urdhva Mukha Svanasana Improves Cardiovascular Health:
Different studies have been proven that practice of Urdhva Mukha Svanasana on a regular basis, can improve the cardiovascular health and it also help in preventing various types of cardiovascular diseases, such as heart attack, heart stroke, high cholesterol, etc., because while doing this asana our upper body is lifting up it create lot of pressure on our chest area and it helps to open the chest muscles and improve the blood circulation, thus reduce the strain from the blood vessels and also prevent the formation of fat and cholesterol in our body, which is the main cause of various types of cardiovascular diseases.
Urdhva Mukha Svanasana Relieves Stress and Anxiety:
While we are doing this Urdhva Mukha Svanasana, our blood circulation gets increase, which also helps to improve the blood flow to the brain, which mean our brain will get sufficient amount of oxygenated blood and nutrition, which helps to improve the brain function and it also helps to reduce the various types of issue, such as stress, anxiety, headache, etc. This asana is highly recommended to the student, if they practice Urdhva Mukha Svanasana on a regular basis, it can improve their concentration towards studies and they will focus more towards their carrier.
Urdhva Mukha Svanasana Enhance Sexual Health:
Practicing of Urdhva Mukha Svanasana on a regular basis can enhance sexual performance because while doing this yoga asana, it stretches our sexual organ, which helps in the production of stress hormones in that area that helps to stimulate our sexual organ and it also improve the blood flow to the sexual organ will help to increase the function of sexual performance.