Purna Bhujangasana is one of the most important asana in yoga with lots of health benefits. It is also known as The Advance Cobra Pose. Purna Bhujangasana is the advanced level of Bhujangasana, The name Purna Bhujangasana actually comes from Sanskrit words, it is a combination of three words, where Purna means Full, Bhujanga means Cobra and Asana mean Pose. So combine all the words, it's pronounced as The Advance Cobra Pose or The Full Cobra Pose.
Purna Bhujangasana has lots of health benefits; among that some of the health benefits of Purna Bhujangasana include removing Stress, Increases the Focus of Mind and Concentration, Strengthen Hip, Knee and Thigh Muscles, Enhance Sexual Health, Improves Digestive Health, Helps to Reduce Back Pain and Reduce Lower Body Fat .
Before we go to do this asana, we should know for whom this Purna Bhujangasana is not recommended. Those who are suffering from severe back injury, hip injury, ankle injury and knee injury, recently any surgery on your back or waist, spinal column ailments on the lower vertebrae they should not do this asana. Those who are suffering from high or low blood pressure, they should not do this asana without any supervision. Those who are suffering from severe headache they should avoid this asana. Those suffering from any form of hernia should avoid this practice.
How to do Purna Bhujangasana (The Advance Cobra Pose):
- To start this asana get onto the yoga mat and lie down on your stomach. Keep your forehead Relax and resting on the ground.
- Your legs should join together and placed your arm alongside your body.
- Now bring your hand beside the chest and your palm should point to the ground.
- Now breathe in and slowly raise your upper body part from the ground. Try not to do a jerky while raising your upper body. Be delicate and moderate.
- Now breathe our and slowly try to bend your spine backwards.
- Now release your neck.
- Try to be in this position for thirty seconds.
- Presently delicately lift your legs alongside twisting knees, and attempt to put your feet as close to the head as feasible.
- Try to touch your head with to your footÃÂ¢Ã¢âÂ¬Ã¢âÂ¢s toes. (as much as you can).
- Keep in this position and gently breathe in and breathe out.
- For beginners, try to be in this position for 3 to 4 breathe.
- To release from this position, slowly come to the starting position and then keep your leg straight and take a deep breath and relax.
- Now you can again do this asana. You should do minimum 10 repetition of this asana for better result.
- Initially, when you start this yoga asana, you feel some pain in your legs, hip, thigh, shoulder, abdomen and knee, but as you practice more you can do this asana more easily.
Health Benefits of Purna Bhujangasana (The Advance Cobra Pose):
Purna Bhujangasana Strengthen The Back, Abdomen, Legs and Hips:
Different studies have been proven that regular practice of Purna Bhujangasana, can stretch your Back, Abdomen, Legs and Hips Muscles, that put extra pressure on this muscle, so that blood flow will increase in this area and muscles will get more amount of oxygen and nutrition, which helps them to strengthen and regular practice of this asana also can help to prevent injury in Back, Abdomen, Legs and Hips Muscles during exercise and other works.
Purna Bhujangasana Helps to Reduce Back Pain:
Different studies have been proven that, regular practice of Purna Bhujangasana can very helpful for those who are suffering from any perennial back pain, because while practicing this asana it create lots of pressure on the spine and its also stretch the spine, that helps to improve the flexibility of our spine that helps to prevent back pain.
Purna Bhujangasana Improves Digestive Health:
Different studies have been proven that regular practice of Purna Bhujangasana can improve our digestive health and it also helps to prevent various types of digestion related issues, such as constipation because regular practice of Purna Bhujangasana put some extra pressure on stomach and inner intestine organ, due to this our body create stress hormone, which helps to promote the function of the digestive system that improve the proper bowel movement and also helps to promote the production of digestive juice and enzyme that helps in digesting of food and helps to prevent the waste from our body.
Purna Bhujangasana Enhance Sexual Health:
Practicing of Purna Bhujangasana on a regular basis can enhance sexual performance because while doing this yoga asana, it stretches our sexual organ, which helps in the production of stress hormones in that area that helps to stimulate our sexual organ and it also improve the blood flow to the sexual organ will help to increase the function of sexual performance.
Purna Bhujangasana Improves Cardiovascular Health:
Different studies have been proven that regular practice of Purna Bhujangasana is very beneficial to improve the cardiovascular health and it also help in preventing various types of cardiovascular diseases, such as heart attack, heart stroke, high cholesterol, etc., because while doing this asana our upper body is lifting up it create lot of pressure on our chest area and it helps to open the chest muscles and improve the blood circulation, thus reduce the strain from the blood vessels and also prevent the formation of fat and cholesterol in our body, which is the main cause of various types of cardiovascular diseases.
Purna Bhujangasana Stimulates the Thyroid and Pituitary Glands:
Different studies have been proven that regular practice of Purna Bhujangasana on a regular basis can improve the thyroid and pituitary gland health, because it creates a lot of pressure on the thyroid gland in the neck region, due to this our body promotes the secretion of thyroxin hormone, which is very beneficial for hypo and hyperthyroidism.
Purna Bhujangasana Relieves Stress and Anxiety:
Different studies has been proven that regular practice of this Purna Bhujangasana on a regular basis can improve blood circulation to the brain and helps to reduce the stress and anxiety, because while doing this asana our head is going against the gravity toward, down, which helps to improve the blood flow to the brain, this ensure brain get sufficient amount of oxygen and other vital nutrients, this is very beneficial in relieving the stress and anxiety.