Padahastasana is one of the most important asana in yoga with lots of health benefits. It is also known as The Hand under Foot Pose. The name Padahastasana actually comes from Sanskrit words, it is a combination of three words, where Pada means Foot, Hasta means Hand and Asana means Pose, so the combination of all the words, its pronounced as a The Hand Under Foot Pose and also while we practice this asana we place our hands under the foot.
Padahastasana has lots of health benefits; among that some of the health benefits of Padahastasana include stretches the full body, remove stress, calm the mind, improve circulation, reduce fat from the thighs area, Boost sexual activity, improves digestion, strengthen the muscles of calves and hamstrings, helps to remove lower back pain, improve the flexibility of the spine and longevity, stimulate endocrine glands, prevents constipation, improves the health of respiratory system and regular practice of this yoga also helps in weight loss.
Before we go to do this asana, we should know for whom this Padahastasana is not recommended. Those who are suffering from severe back injury, hip injury, ankle injury and knee injury, recently any surgery on your back or waist, spinal column ailments on the lower vertebrae they should not do this asana. Those who are suffering from high or low blood pressure, they should not do this asana without any supervision. Those who are suffering from severe headache they should avoid this asana. Those suffering from any form of hernia should avoid this practice.
How to do Padahastasana (The Hand under Foot Pose):
- To start this asana get onto the yoga mat and stand straight on the yoga mat. Your legs should be together and hands should be placed alongside your body.
- Now slowly take a deep breath and raise your both hands towards the roof over the head.
- Keep in mind that your biceps should touch your ears.
- Stretch your hands towards the roof as much as possible.
- Now bring your palm face in upward position, slowly breathe out and lower your body by bending your upper body from the hips.
- Keep in mind that, your legs should straight and your knees should not bend.
- Try to bend your body as much as you can, so that your abdomen and chest should touch your thigh.
- Now try to hold the heel and place your forehead on the knees.
- Now try to place both your palms under the foot (If your body is allowed).
- Take a normal breathe in this position.
- Try to remain in this position as long as you can.
- For beginners, try to be in this position for 3 to 4 breathe.
- To release from this position, slowly get back to the starting position, keep your leg straight and take a deep breath and relax. Keep both the hands alongside your body.
- Now you can again do this asana. You should do minimum 10 repetitions of this asana for better result.
- Initially, when you start this yoga asana, you feel some pain in your legs, spine, abdomen, calf, thigh, and arms, but as you practice more you can do this asana more easily.
Health Benefits of Padahastasana (The Hand under Foot Pose):
Padahastasana Strengthen Calves, Hamstrings and Hips:
Different studies have been proven that regular practice of Padahastasana, can stretch your The Calves, Hamstrings and Hips that improves the elasticity of this muscle and also helps to increase the blood flow in this area, which mean muscles will get more amount of oxygen and nutrition that helps them to strengthen and grow, so the regular practice of this Padahastasana helps to prevent injury in The Calves, Hamstrings and Hips.
Padahastasana Improves Digestive Health:
Different studies have been proven that regular practice of Padahastasana can improve our digestive health and it also helps to prevent various types of digestion related issues, such as constipation because regular practice of Padahastasana put some extra pressure on stomach and inner intestine organ, due to this our body create stress hormone, which helps to promote the function of the digestive system that improve the proper bowel movement and also helps to promote the production of digestive juice and enzyme that helps in digesting of food and helps to prevent the waste from our body.
Padahastasana Strengthen Back, Neck and Shoulder:
Different studies have been proven that regular practice of Padahastasana, can stretch your Back, Neck and Shoulder Muscles, that put extra pressure on this muscle, so that blood flow will increase in this area and muscles will get more amount of oxygen and nutrition, which helps them to strengthen and regular practice of this asana also can help to prevent injury in Back, Neck and Shoulder Muscles during exercise and other works.
Padahastasana Reduces Lower Body Fat:
Regular practice of Padahastasana is very beneficial for reducing the lower body fat, because while doing this Padahastasana, it creates lots of pressure on the lower body part, due to this our lower body muscle gets toned and helps in reducing the fat in this region.
Padahastasana Improves the Function of Liver and Kidneys:
Regular practice of Padahastasana is very beneficial for in improving the function of livers and kidney, because while doing this asana, it creates lots of pressure in the kidneys and livers that help to produce of stress hormones, which stimulate our kidneys and liver for better functioning.
Padahastasana Improves Blood Circulation:
When we are doing Padahastasana it helps to open the chest muscles that helps improve the blood circulation, thus reduce the strain from the blood vessels and also prevent the formation of fat and cholesterol in our body.
Padahastasana Enhance Sexual Health:
Practicing of Padahastasana on a regular basis can enhance sexual performance because while doing this yoga asana, it stretches our sexual organ, which helps in the production of stress hormones in that area that helps to stimulate our sexual organ and it also improve the blood flow to the sexual organ will help to increase the function of sexual performance.
Padahastasana Relieves Stress and Anxiety:
While we are doing this Padahastasana, our blood circulation gets increase, which also helps to improve the blood flow to the brain, which mean our brain will get sufficient amount of oxygenated blood and nutrition, which helps to improve the brain function and it also helps to reduce the various types of issue, such as stress, anxiety, headache, etc. This asana is highly recommended to the student, if they practice Padahastasana on a regular basis, it can improve their concentration towards studies and they will focus more towards their carrier.