Kati Chakrasana is one of the easiest and most important asana in yoga with lots of health benefits. It is also known as The Standing Spinal Twist Pose. The name Kati Chakrasana actually comes from Sanskrit words, where Kati means Waist, Chakra means Wheel or circular rotation and Asana mean Pose. This asana can be practiced by almost all age group. While doing Kati Chakrasana we twist our upper body from the spinal in the standing posture, so in English this asana is known as The Standing Spinal Twist Pose.
Kati Chakrasana has lots of health benefits; among that some of the health benefits of Kati Chakrasana include Strengthening The Back and Abdominal Muscles, Improves Digestive Health, Improves Blood Circulation, Strengthen Spine, Hips and Legs, Enhance Sexual Health, Helps to Reduce Belly Fat, Improves Kidneys and Liver Function and Reduces Lower Back Pain.
Before we go to do this asana, we should know for whom this Kati Chakrasana is not recommended. Those who are suffering from severe back injury, hip injury, and shoulder injury, recently any surgery on your back or waist, spinal column ailments on the lower vertebrae they should not do this asana. Those who are suffering from high or low blood pressure, they should not do this asana without any supervision. Those who are suffering from severe headache they should avoid this asana.
How to do Kati Chakrasana (The Standing Spinal Twist Pose):
- To start this asana get onto the yoga mat and stand straight with your feet together. Try to keep your spine erect and your shoulder should be straight.
- Now place your legs apart from each other with shoulder width apart.
- Raise both of your hands to the front and your palm should face each other.
- Both of your hands should be in line with the shoulders.
- Now slowly breathe in and as you breathe out twist your upper body to the right and your right hand should also move to the right side and you should gaze to your right palm.
- Keep your breath out and stay in this position as long as possible.
- Now breathe in and come back to the center position.
- Again, as your breathe our twist your upper body to your left side and your should gaze to the left palm. Keep your breath out.
- Stay in this final posture as long as possible.
- Come back to the center and relax.
- For beginners, try to be in this position for 60 seconds to 90 seconds.
- To release from this position, slowly get back to the starting position, keep your leg straight and take a deep breath and relax. Keep both the hands alongside your body.
- Now you can again do this asana again. You should do minimum 10 repetitions of this asana for better result.
- Initially, when you start this yoga asana, you feel some pain in your legs, spine, shoulder, neck and abdominal, but as you practice more you can do this asana more easily.
Health Benefits of Kati Chakrasana (The Standing Spinal Twist Pose):
Kati Chakrasana Strengthen The Back and Abdominal Muscles:
The regular practice of Kati Chakrasana will help to keep our back and abdominal muscles strong and healthy, because while doing Kati Chakrasana, it puts lots of pressure on our back and abdominal muscles that helpful to reduce the hunch and squeeze the abdominal muscles. Different studies have been proven that regular practicing of Kati Chakrasana helps to improve the flexibility and elasticity of the spine and abdominal muscles, beside this it also helps to reduce the stiffness of the spine, thus reduce the back pain.
Kati Chakrasana Strengthen The Neck, Shoulder and Chest Muscles:
Different studies have been proven that the regular practice of Kati Chakrasana, can stretch your chest, neck and shoulder muscles, that improves the elasticity of this muscle and also helps to increase the blood flow in this area, which mean muscles will get more amount of oxygen and nutrition that helps them to strengthen and grow, so the regular practice of this Kati Chakrasana helps to prevent injury in the chest, neck and shoulder muscles during exercise and other works.
Kati Chakrasana Improves Digestive Health:
Different studies have been proven that regular practice of Kati Chakrasana, can improve our digestive health and it also helps to prevent various types of digestion related issues, such as constipation because regular practice of Kati Chakrasana put some extra pressure on stomach and inner intestine, due to this our body create stress hormone, which helps to promote the function of the digestive system that improve the proper bowel movement and also helps to promote the production of digestive juice and enzyme that helps in digesting of food and helps to prevent constipation.
Kati Chakrasana Reduce Belly Fat:
Different studies have been proven that regular practice of Kati Chakrasana is very helpful for our abdominal muscles and it also helps to reduce the fat from the belly region because while doing this asana it create lots of pressure on our abdominal muscles that helps to reduce the extra fat from the belly.
Kati Chakrasana Reduces Lower Back Pain:
Different studies have been proven that, regular practice of Kati Chakrasana can very helpful for those who are suffering from any perennial back pain, because while practicing this asana it create lots of pressure on the spine and itÃ¢â¬â¢s also stretch the spine, that helps to improve the flexibility of our spine that helps to prevent back pain.
Kati Chakrasana Improves Cardiovascular Health:
Different studies have been proven that practice of Kati Chakrasana on a regular basis, can improve the cardiovascular health and it also help in preventing various types of cardiovascular diseases, such as heart attack, heart stroke, high cholesterol, etc., because while doing this asana it create lot of pressure on our chest area and it helps to open the chest muscles and improve the blood circulation, thus reduce the strain from the blood vessels and also prevent the formation of fat and cholesterol in our body, which is the main cause of various types of cardiovascular diseases.
Kati Chakrasana Improves Blood Circulation:
When we are doing Kati Chakrasana it helps to open the chest muscles that helps improve the blood circulation, thus reduce the strain from the blood vessels and also prevent the formation of fat and cholesterol in our body.