Karnapidasana is one of the most important asana in yoga with lots of health benefits. It is also known as The Knee to Ear Pose. The other name of this asana is Raja Halasana (The king plow pose).The name Karnapidasana actually comes from Sanskrit words, it is a combination of three words, where Karna means Ear, Pida means Pain and Asana mean Pose. In English it's pronounced as The Knee to Ear Pose because the our knee is touched to our ear in the final posture in this asana.
Karnapidasana has lots of health benefits; among that some of the health benefits of Karnapidasana include stretches the entire front body, calm the mind, remove stress, improve circulation, Boost sexual activity, improves digestion, strengthen the muscles of ankles, thighs, abdomen, throat, chest and deep hip flexors, helps to remove lower back pain, improve the flexibility of the spine and longevity, stimulate endocrine glands, prevents constipation, improves the health of respiratory system and regular practice of this yoga also helps in weight loss.
Before we go to do this asana, we should know for whom this Karnapidasana is not recommended. Those who are suffering from severe back injury, hip injury, ankle injury and knee injury, recently any surgery on your back or waist, spinal column ailments on the lower vertebrae they should not do this asana. Those who are suffering from high or low blood pressure, they should not do this asana without any supervision. Those who are suffering from severe headache they should avoid this asana. Those suffering from any form of hernia should avoid this practice.
How to do Karnapidasana (The Knee to Ear Pose):
- To start this yoga asana get onto the yoga mat and lie down on the yoga mat on your back.
- Your arms should be straight and placed alongside of your body.
- As you breathe out lift your legs in the air and raised it as itÃÂ¢Ã¢âÂ¬Ã¢âÂ¢s coming over your head.
- Try to come to the Full Halasana Pose.
- Try to lift up your butts and endeavor to twist your legs over the head. (Curve or press your knee into the floor with your upper arms simply close to ear., and endeavor to press and place them simply close to the ear).
- Your arms ought to be parallel to our body.
- For supporting your hips endeavor to lift up your hands and hold them under your lower back.
- Attempt to snatch your curve knees together.
- After that put down your knees and take a full breath.
- Presently lift up your butts and keep down your knees.
- By this you will have the capacity for putting yourself in an ear pressure posture.
- Try to remain in this position as much time as you can.
- For beginners, try to be in this position for 2 to 3 breaths.
- To release from this position, breathe in and slowly get on to the starting position. Now keep your both the hands alongside your body, keep your leg straight and take a deep breath and relax.
- Now you can again do this asana. You should do minimum 10 repetitions of this asana for better result.
- Initially, when you start this yoga asana, you feel some pain in your abs, hip, thigh, neck and shoulder but as you practice more you can do this asana more easily.
Health Benefits of Karnapidasana (The Knee to Ear Pose):
Karnapidasana Helps to Improve Digestion:
Regular practice of Karnapidasana can improve our digestive health and it also helps to prevent various types of digestion related issues, such as constipation because while doing Karnapidasana, it's create lot of pressure on stomach and inner intestine, due to this our body create stress hormone, which helps to promote the function of the digestive system that improve the proper bowel movement and it also promote the production of digestive juice and enzyme that helps in digesting of food and helps to prevent constipation.
Karnapidasana Helps to Stimulate the Reproductive Organs:
Practicing of Karnapidasana on a regular basis can enhance sexual performance because while doing Karnapidasana, it squeezes the sexual organ, which helps in the production of stress hormones in that area that helps to stimulate our sexual organ and it also improve the blood flow to the sexual organ will help to increase the function of sexual performance. Beside this regular practice of Karnapidasana also helps to improve the strength of the hips, calf and thigh muscles, and all these body parts are very useful for optimal sexual performance.
Karnapidasana Strengthen the Neck, Chest, and Shoulders:
While practicing Karnapidasana, it stretches our neck, chest and shoulder muscles that help to improve the blood flow in this area and keep our muscle tone and strengthen. Different studies have been proven that regular practice of this Karnapidasana will helps to reduce the pain in the shoulder and arms and keep the bone strong.
Karnapidasana Improves Flexibility of Spine:
Different studies have been proven that, regular practice of this Karnapidasana will help to improve the flexibility in the spine and helps to keep it straight and strong. While we are doing Karnapidasana, our spine posture is little bit backward, which helpful to reduce the hunch and regular practicing this asana helps to improve the flexibility and elasticity of the spine that help to reduce the back pain and stiffness in the spine.
Karnapidasana Helps to Remove Stress and Anxiety:
Studies have been proven that practicing of Karnapidasana on a regular basis is not only good for our physical health, but also it helps to improve our mental health. The regular practice of this asana increases the blood flow to our brain that provide sufficient amount of oxygen and nutrition to our brain, which is very essential for our brain and it also help to calm the mind and release the stress.
Karnapidasana Improves Blood Circulation:
When we are doing Karnapidasana it helps to open the chest muscles that helps improve the blood circulation, thus reduce the strain from the blood vessels and also prevent the formation of fat and cholesterol in our body.
Karnapidasana Increases Focus:
Different studies have been proven that, regular practice of Karnapidasana helps to improve the blood circulation to the brain because your head position is going against the gravity, so it will help to promote the blood flow to the brain and volumes is more. Due to increase in blood flow to the brain, it gets more oxygen and vital nutrients, thus your brain gets more focused and function properly.