Baddha Kona Sirsasana is one of the most advance and important asana in yoga with lots of health benefits. It is also known as The Bound Angle Headstand Pose. The name Baddha Kona Sirsasana actually comes from Sanskrit words, where Baddha means Bound, Kona means Angle, Sirsa means Head and Asana mean Pose. So combine all the words, it's pronounced as The Bound Angle Headstand Pose.
Baddha Kona Sirsasana has lots of health benefits; among that some of the health benefits of Baddha Kona Sirsasana include Removing Stress, Strengthen Hip, Knee and Thigh Muscles, Increases the Focus of Mind and Concentration, Strengthen the Neck, Chest, and Shoulders, Enhance Sexual Health, Improves Digestive Health, Helps to Reduce Back Pain, Improves Flexibility of Spine, and Reduce Lower Body Fat.
Before we go to do this asana, we should know for whom this Baddha Kona Sirsasana is not recommended. Those who are suffering from severe back, neck or head injuries they should not do this asana. Those who are suffering from high or low blood pressure, heart problems, weight issues, hernia. This asana should also avoid during menstrual cycles and during pregnancy.
How to do Baddha Kona Sirsasana (The Bound Angle Headstand Pose):
- To start this asana get onto the yoga mat and come to the Balasana / Childâs Pose.
- Try to keep some distance between your elbows. Now slowly lift your head and keep your elbows ought to be opposite to your shoulders.
- Interweave your fingers to make a solid stronghold for your head.
- Expedite the crown of your head on the floor and rest the back of your head against your interlocked fingers.
- Now slowly take off your knees from the floor.
- Fix your back by gradually strolling your toes towards your face.
- Gradually twist your knees and convey your foot rear areas nearer to your sitting bones. Point your toes towards the roof.
- Breathe in and fix your knees. Your body ought to be adjusted in a straight line.
- Twist your knees and press the bottoms of your feet together. Spread your knees as serenely as possible.
- Try to be in this position as your body is allow and keep breathing normally.
- For beginners, try to be in this position for 2 to 3 breaths.
- To release from this position, breathe out and slowly get on to the starting position. Now keep your both the hands alongside your body, keep your leg straight and take a deep breath and relax.
- Now you can again do this asana. You should do minimum 10 repetitions of this asana for better result.
- Initially, when you start this yoga asana, you feel some pain in your head, neck, abs, hip, thigh, and shoulder but as you practice more you can do this asana more easily.
Health Benefits of Baddha Kona Sirsasana (The Bound Angle Headstand Pose):
Baddha Kona Sirsasana Improves Focus and Sense of Balance:
Regular practice of Baddha Kona Sirsasana helps to improve the focus of mind and concentration because while doing Baddha Kona Sirsasana, it will help to promote the blood flow to the brain and volumes is more. Due to increase in blood flow to the brain, it gets more oxygen and vital nutrients, thus your brain gets more focused and function properly.
Baddha Kona Sirsasana Reduces Stress and Anxiety:
While we are doing this Baddha Kona Sirsasana, our blood circulation gets increase, which also helps to improve the blood flow to the brain, which mean our brain will get sufficient amount of oxygenated blood and nutrition, which helps to improve the brain function and it also helps to reduce the various types of issue, such as stress, anxiety, headache, etc. This asana is highly recommended to the student, if they practice Baddha Kona Sirsasana on a regular basis, it can improve their concentration towards studies and they will focus more towards their carrier.
Baddha Kona Sirsasana Improves Blood Circulation to the Brain:
Different studies have been proven that regular practice of Baddha Kona Sirsasana can help to improve the blood flow to the brain, because when we are doing this exercise its increase our blood circulation to the brain and it put less pressure on our cardiovascular system, so blood flow will more and easier.
Baddha Kona Sirsasana Improves Digestion:
Different studies have been proven that regular practice of Baddha Kona Sirsasana, can improve our digestive health and it also helps to prevent various types of digestion related issues, such as constipation because regular practice of Baddha Kona Sirsasana put some extra pressure on stomach and inner intestine, due to this our body create stress hormone, which helps to promote the function of the digestive system that improve the proper bowel movement and also helps to promote the production of digestive juice and enzyme that helps in digesting of food and helps to prevent constipation.
Baddha Kona Sirsasana Strengthens your Arms, Shoulders, Spine and Core Muscles:
Different studies have been proven that regular practice of Baddha Kona Sirsasana, can stretch your arms, shoulders, spine and core muscles, because while doing Baddha Kona Sirsasana, it puts extra pressure on this muscle, so that blood flow will increase in this area and muscles will get more amount of oxygen and nutrition, which helps them to strengthen and regular practice of this asana also can help to prevent injury in arms, shoulders, spine and core during exercise and other works.
Baddha Kona Sirsasana Helps to Prevent Asthma:
Those who are suffering from any respiratory problem, this asana is very beneficial for them because while practicing this asana it create lots of pressure in the chest or lungs region, that helps in expanding your lungs thereby preventing you from respiratory problems, such as Asthma.
Baddha Kona Sirsasana Reduces Menstrual Issues:
Different studies have been proven that regular practice of Baddha Kona Sirsasana is very helpful for menstrual issues and it also helps to maintain length of menstrual cycle because while doing this asana it create lots of pressure on groin part that helps to Relieves in Menstrual Issues.
Baddha Kona Sirsasana Improves the Body Posture:
Regular practice of Baddha Kona Sirsasana helps to reduce the body fat from our body, especially belly, arms, thighs, butts regions, thus it helps to keep our body posture