Ardha Chandrasana is one of the most important asana in yoga with lots of health benefits. It is also known as The Half Moon Pose. In Sanskrit Ardha mean Half, Chandra mean Moon and Asana mean Pose, so combine of all the words, it's pronounced as The Half Moon Pose. Besides these, in The Half Moon Pose we actually balance our whole body in one leg, which helps in improving balance our bodies.
Ardha Chandrasana has lots of health benefits, among that some of the health benefits of Ardha Chandrasana include stretches the full body, calm the mind, remove stress, improve circulation, Boost sexual activity, improves digestion, strengthen the muscles of legs and abs, helps to remove lower back pain, improve the flexibility of the spine and longevity, stimulate endocrine glands, prevents constipation, improves the health of respiratory system and regular practice of this yoga also helps in weight loss.
Before we go to do this asana, we should know for whom this asana is not recommended. Those who are suffering from severe back injury and ankle injury, recently any surgery on your legs or waist, spinal column ailments on the lower vertebrae they should not do this asana. Those who are suffering from high or low blood pressure, they should not do this asana without any supervision, For women, those who were in the last month of pregnancy; they should also avoid this asana.
How to do Ardha Chandrasana (The Half Moon Pose):
- To start this asana, get onto the yoga mat and stand straight on your feet, your feet should width apart. Now turn to the left side and spread your arms vertically at shoulder height.
- Now rotate your right foot at 90 degrees angle and your front foot toes should point towards the top of the mat. Now slowly get down towards your right foot, where it is pointing.
- Your right hand should place on your outer right ankle.
- For the beginner, it is not easy, as you practice every day you can place your full palm on the floor also.
- Try to make your both shoulders align in such a way that your left shoulder should be directly above on your right shoulder. Now turn your head slowly and try to gaze at your left thumb.
- Now breathe out and press your right heel and right palm, then take slowly try to lift the left leg parallel to the floor. Try to keep your right leg straight and keep the body balanced, so that you should not fall down.
- Try to keep your body weight on your right leg and Try to be in this position for 2 to 3 breaths.
- To release from this position, take a deep breath and slowly down your left leg towards the floor and slowly up from your hips and while doing this try to keep your leg straight.
- Now you can again do this asana on the other side.
- Keep in mind that when you are going down you should exhale and when you are coming upward your to inhale.
- Initially, when you start this yoga asana, you feel some pain in your calves and hamstrings, but as you practice you can do this asana more easily.
Health Benefits of Ardha Chandrasana (The Half Moon Pose):
Ardha Chandrasana Helps to Reduce Stress and Anxiety:
Different studies has been proven that regular practice of this asana can improve blood circulation to the brain and helps to reduce the stress and anxiety, because while doing this asana our head is going against the gravity toward, down, which helps to improve the blood flow to the brain, that mean brain get sufficient amount of oxygen and other vital nutrients that red blood cells carry, which is very beneficial to our brain to function properly and also helps to prevent various types of brain related issues, such as anxiety and stress.
Ardha Chandrasana Helps to Prevents Constipation:
Different studies have been proven that regular practice of Ardha Chandrasana can improve our digestive health and it also helps to prevent various types of digestion related issues, such as constipation because regular practice of Ardha Chandrasana put some extra pressure on stomach and inner intestine, due to this our body create stress hormone, which helps to promote the function of the digestive system that improve the proper bowel movement and also helps to promote the production of digestive juice and enzyme that helps in digesting of food and helps to prevent constipation.
Ardha Chandrasana Improves Cardiovascular System:
Different studies have been proven that regular practice of Ardha Chandrasana can improve the cardiovascular health and it also help in preventing various types of cardiovascular diseases, such as heart attack, heart stroke, high cholesterol, etc., because when we are going down in this asana it helps to open the chest muscles and improve the blood circulation, thus reduce the strain from the blood vessels and also prevent the formation of fat and cholesterol in our body, which is the main cause of various types of cardiovascular diseases.
Ardha Chandrasana Strengthen Calves, Ankle and Hamstrings Muscles:
Different studies have been proven that regular practice of Ardha Chandrasana, can stretch your calves, ankle and hamstring muscles, that improves the elasticity of this muscle and also helps to increase the blood flow in this area, which mean muscles will get more amount of oxygen and nutrition, which helps them to strengthen and growth, so the regular practice of this asana also can help to prevent injury in ankle, calves and hamstrings during exercise and other works.
Ardha Chandrasana Improves Spine Flexibility:
The regular practice of this asana will help to keep our spine straight and strong. While we are doing Ardha Chandrasana, our spine is moving down and up that helpful to reduce the hunch. Different studies have been proven that regular practicing of this asana helps to improve the flexibility and elasticity of the spine and it also helps to reduce the stiffness of the spine, thus reduce the back pain.