Ananda Balasana is one of the easiest and most important asana in yoga with lots of health benefits. It is also known as The Happy Baby Pose. The name Ananda Balasana actually comes from Sanskrit words, it is a combination of three words, where Ananda means Happy, Bala means Baby and Asana mean Pose. So combine all the words, it's pronounced as The Happy Baby Pose.
Ananda Balasana has lots of health benefits; among that some of the health benefits of Ananda Balasana include strengthening The Back, Abdomen, Legs and Hips, Helps to Reduce Back Pain, Improves Digestive Health, Strengthen the Neck, Chest, and Shoulders, Helps to Reduce Belly Fat, Improves the Function of Liver and Kidneys, Improves Blood Circulation, Improves Cardiovascular Health, Relieves Stress and Anxiety and Enhance Sexual Health.
Before we go to do this asana, we should know for whom this Ananda Balasana is not recommended. Those who are suffering from severe back injury, hip injury, ankle injury and knee injury, recently any surgery on your back or waist, spinal column ailments on the lower vertebrae they should not do this asana. Those who are suffering from high or low blood pressure, they should not do this asana without any supervision. Those who are suffering from severe headache they should avoid this asana. Those suffering from any form of hernia should avoid this practice.
How to do Ananda Balasana (The Happy Baby Pose):
- To start this asana get onto the yoga mat and lie down on your back, your leg should straight and hands should place alongside of your body.
- Now as you breathe in, raise your both legs up and bring both of your knees closer to your chest.
- Snatch your feet thumb. Keep in mind that your arms are pulled through the inward parts of your knees as you hold your toes. Gently open up your hips and expand your legs optimum stretch.
- Try to bring your Chin into your chest and Ensure that your head should touch the floor.
- Presently endeavor to touch your tailbone and the sacrum down to the floor at the same time press your foot rear areas up and pulling back with your arms.
- Hold your back of the neck and the shoulders down to the floor and back and the spine should be squeezed level on the ground.
- Keep in this position and gently breathe in and breathe out.
- For beginners, try to be in this position for 1 to 2 minutes.
- To release from this position, slowly come to the starting position and then keep your leg straight and take a deep breath and relax.
- Now you can again do this asana. You should do minimum 10 repetition of this asana for better result.
- Initially, when you start this yoga asana, you feel some pain in your legs, hip, thigh, shoulder, abdomen and knee, but as you practice more you can do this asana more easily.
Health Benefits of Ananda Balasana (The Happy Baby Pose):
Ananda Balasana Strengthen The Back and Abdominal Muscles:
The regular practice of Ananda Balasana will help to keep our back and abdominal muscles strong and healthy, because while doing Ananda Balasana, it puts lots of pressure on our back and abdominal muscles that helpful to reduce the hunch and squeeze the abdominal muscles. Different studies have been proven that regular practicing of Ananda Balasana helps to improve the flexibility and elasticity of the spine and abdominal muscles, beside this it also helps to reduce the stiffness of the spine, thus reduce the back pain.
Ananda Balasana Tones the Leg and Arm Muscles:
Different studies have been proven that the regular practice of Ananda Balasana, can stretch your leg and arm muscles, that improves the elasticity of this muscle and also helps to increase the blood flow in this area, which mean muscles will get more amount of oxygen and nutrition that helps them to strengthen and grow, so the regular practice of this Ananda Balasana helps to prevent injury in leg and arm during exercise and other works.
Ananda Balasana Enhance Sexual Performance:
Studies have been proven that, practicing of Ananda Balasana on a regular basis can enhance sexual performance because while doing Ananda Balasana, it squeezes the sexual organ, which helps in the production of stress hormones in that area that helps to stimulate our sexual organ and it also improve the blood flow to the sexual organ will help to increase the function of sexual performance.
Ananda Balasana Improves Cardiovascular Health:
Different studies have been proven that practice of Ananda Balasana on a regular basis, can improve the cardiovascular health and it also help in preventing various types of cardiovascular diseases, such as heart attack, heart stroke, high cholesterol, etc., because while doing this asana our upper body is going down it create lot of pressure on our chest area and it helps to open the chest muscles and improve the blood circulation, thus reduce the strain from the blood vessels and also prevent the formation of fat and cholesterol in our body, which is the main cause of various types of cardiovascular diseases.
Ananda Balasana Improves the Function of the Kidneys and Livers:
Different studies have been proven that regular practice of Ananda Balasana is very beneficial for in improving the function of livers and kidney, because while doing this asana, it creates lots of pressure in the kidneys and livers that help to produce of stress hormones, which stimulate our kidneys and liver for better functioning.
Ananda Balasana Improves Digestive Health:
Different studies have been proven that regular practice of Ananda Balasana can improve our digestive health and it also helps to prevent various types of digestion related issues, such as constipation because regular practice of Ananda Balasana put some extra pressure on stomach and inner intestine organ, due to this our body create stress hormone, which helps to promote the function of the digestive system that improve the proper bowel movement and also helps to promote the production of digestive juice and enzyme that helps in digesting of food and helps to prevent the waste from our body.
Ananda Balasana Relieves Stress and Anxiety:
Different studies has been proven that regular practice of this Ananda Balasana on a regular basis can improve blood circulation to the brain and helps to reduce the stress and anxiety, because while doing this asana our head is going against the gravity toward, down, which helps to improve the blood flow to the brain, this ensure brain get sufficient amount of oxygen and other vital nutrients, this is very beneficial in relieving the stress and anxiety.